
Photo Courtesy of http://howtowinatblackjackonline.com/winning-at-blackjack/
Hey guys! Over Spring Break, in the Bahamas, I had the opportunity to indulge in a very addicting game. No this game isn't the typical iPhone game of Scramble with Friends or Temple Run, but Blackjack. Blackjack is a very popular game to play (when you're legal) in the casinos. Gambling while playing Blackjack can be very risky if you do not know how to bet properly or more importantly know when to walk away from the tables. This Spring Break was my second time gambling in the Bahamas, and let's just say I remembered a tip or two from when my dad used to teach me when I was younger.
A game's competition appeal is very important. Some games you compete with yourself and other games you compete against another person or a team, but in blackjack you compete against the House aka the dealer and the casino. Winning money is always a fun feeling, and I have some tips for you on how to get that great feeling! But first, I suggest you read Bringing Down the House by Ben Mezrich or see the movie 21, which is based off the book. Both are based off of real events about a blackjack team from MIT taking their brains and skills to Vegas. Not only do both the book and the movie make your heart race, but they also teach you about gambling, math, and the effects of card counting.
Card counting is extremely difficult if you aren't one of those math whiz kids from MIT. I don't advise card counting. Although it is not illegal, it is frowned upon in all casinos, and the casino can turn you away. All games have rules, and blackjack is no exception. However these rules are more of guidelines. I am here to provide our readers with my top 10 tips for the next time you are feeling lucky in a casino.
1. always assume the dealer's faced down card is a value of 10.
2. double down when you have an 11 (you get an extra card and if you beat the dealer that means twice the money).
3. STAY when the dealer has a 2,3, or 4 showing (assuming the bottom card is a 10) and you have at least a 12.
4. always hit on a soft 17 (that means an ace with any number of cards adding to 17).
5. When you have a 16, HIT. More of a risky move but the right move to make when playing by the book.
6. When you start losing 3 or more hands in a row, LEAVE. Try your luck later or at a different table.
7. Start to raise your bet when you win consecutively.
8. If you lose a hand, return to the minimum bet.
9. Split 8s and Aces (double your chance of winnings), but not 4s or 5s and NEVER SPLIT a pair of 10s.
10. When you hit a winning streak, walk away when you are comfortable or after the next hand you lose.
Hopefully the next time you are in the tropical islands or Canada, heck even legal in the U.S. to gamble to remember these tips and I hope you do well in the Casino!
-Leah
I've played blackjack a few times but never in a casino, only with friends. for tip #5, I've heard that you should only hit on a 16 when the dealer shows 7 or higher. Do you think it's best to always hit on 16? I like how you mention some tips about making sure you cut your losses (leave if you start to lose a lot of hands so you don't get emotionally involved. Did you end up winning money?
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed this post! It had a lot of information that could definitely be useful in the future ;) In high school I did an assignment on blackjack and the best way to play. Although counting cards SOUNDS cool, if you want to play smart you shouldn't do it. In blackjack you are playing the house, so unlike poker there is no use in trying to read someone's face to figure out what you should do. In blackjack you are just playing strategically, and by memorizing what you should do puts the odds in your favorite. Online there are a lot of websites with that have a chart to memorize for what you should do in every situation, its long but definitely worthwhile knowing!
ReplyDeleteYou provide some great insight as to how one can be successful in a game of blackjack. You said it can be tempting for an individual to stay in the game, if he or she is winning, and I completely agree with you. When that person starts to lose, well, that's another story. Temptation and anticipation are key in black jack and you provide great tips for blackjack lovers. One small mistake or hand motion could potentially ruin it all at the table. Blackjack is a game of risk and chance. If you play the game right, you could potentially win big. However, gambling can be dangerous and people should make sure they play wisely.
ReplyDeleteBlackJack is a great casino game that incorporates all the formal features of games we have discussed in this class: it is fun, challenging, occupies a certain space, and is a competition with a winner and a loser. I personally love BlackJack and like you, also played over my spring break. Like you I also stuck to the tips that my dad had taught me, and won $150! I was up more, but when I started losing, I followed tip #6 and decided to walk away with my winnings.
ReplyDeleteMallory Harwood
The Magic Circle
Me and my friends from High School always make trips to the Casino when we get together over break. We spend a lot of time at the Black Jack table so I enjoyed reading your post. My first few times at the casino I didn't know the little hints and tips that you brought up. I didn't do to well. But after learning many of those hints from the internet and family members it makes the experience much more enjoyable. Once you know the ins and outs of what your "supposed" to do your success rate definitely goes up drastically.
ReplyDelete-Brennan Ouellette, Team Fame
I think the biggest problem people face has to deal with tip #6. People can't accept the fact that they are down or have lost money. They will do whatever it takes to get back to even, which usually means losing even more money. I face that kind of problem with gambling sometimes as well. It's hard to accept luck isn't going your way, and that sometimes you just need to cut your losses. It's a hard thing do, but is the best strategy for any gambler. Blackjack is a great game though, and is always enjoying to play.
ReplyDelete