Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Game of Iphones

I am the last girl person in this world without an Iphone. Yes, I still use the device from "centuries" ago. A device where you push buttons to dial a phone number, have a miniature screen, and does not have the Apple logo on it. I am the proud owner of a lowly blackberry. I don't know when the shift exactly occurred, but suddenly I went from having 50 active BBM chats to 4. We 4 are the only survivors of this iphone hysteria.

Now in order for you to better understand my perspective with which I write this post, let me explain my tech history. I suck at technology. I manage to operate technology with a medium skill base, yet am hardly that of an expert. I don't download music or TV show (Though I DID just begin to use a netflix instant play account!). So perhaps I come at this with a horribly biased perspective. Perhaps I'll never "get it" with technology.

On to the real point - I don't get the iphone craze. Sure the internet is faster, but is there anyone like me who doesn't want to use a touch screen? Its inefficient and given a large thumb pad, very difficult to type accurate thoughts. And Iphone users will admit this...so what is it about this device that makes it SO great?! Games. There are thousands of "aps" where one can draw with friends, scramble with friends, facetime with friends, angry birds with friends, (insert here) with friends. The iphone is the newest gaming device.


Although I am not a gamer I will admit, the Iphone games are fun. This morning my roommate and I spent an hour playing "draw something", the latest iphone pictionary type game and the family feud on her iphone. And even I will admit, I secretly wanted an Iphone. Now I wonder, was the master mind of Steve Jobs really intended for that of recreation? Did the creators of this cutting edge communication device intend for games to be an outcome, perhaps even a focus for this device? Is this gaming aspect the single quality that really does set apart this phone from other devices? Wait 'till I get my iphone when I have an upgrade in July - I'll tell you then!

(Photos from: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/draw-something-free/id488628250?mt=8
                      http://www.t3.com/news/draw-something-app-surges-to-20-million-downloads-1)

5 comments:

  1. Reading your post felt like I was reading s post I would have written, as everything you described IS ME...until I got the iPhone myself. Known among my friends as technologically disabled, I never got in it with the hype of AIM, or even checked my Facebook regularly until college. I myself was also a Blackberry user until just recently, and DESPISED the concept of touch screen typing. I never understood what it was about the iPhone that made it such a "MUST HAVE." But having had a good amount of time playing around with it and the different apps, I have realized that it is not jus the games that people can play on iPhones that makes it so enjoyable, but what the games allow you to do. Going to school far away from home, as I am from Los Angeles, California, it is definitely not easy to constantly keep in touch with every single person from home, especially while having such a busy schedule. Therefore, playing against people in games is a way for me to connect with my friends without having to set aside time for each individual. Sometimes requesting people or getting requests from people to play a game is a way of starting conversation and catching up, while other times, it is a simple way of saying "I'm alive" or "Don't forget about me!" Essentially while the various apps and perks of the iPhone are a great way to pass the time during meetings and classes that seem boring (we all know we do it at least ONCE in a while...), it is the power that these games have in connecting people without the hassle of reaching out to every single person in our phone book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Brigitte in the sense that I am able to connect to people who I would not necessarily call up, but we have a bond through the gaming world. However, I think that there is much more to the iPhone that makes it so desirable, in my opinion. While it is a burden sometimes to constantly be getting notifications for games, emails, and Facebook updates, it keeps me constantly in touch with the world around me. I get breaking news notifications or find out up to date information through twitter, I can talk to my friends in one big group regardless of how far apart we are, and most importantly, I can get directions or local businesses numbers and addresses quickly when I am lost. Games are one of the most fun aspects of the iPhone obviously, but I think that it's access to any information you need at the tap of your finger (which you get used to pretty quickly) is what makes it so desirable to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I might be the only person without a smartphone at the University of Michigan. Unlike you, I don't even have access to the internet on my phone. But unfortunately I do still fall into the category of people that love using apps and playing games because I have an itouch. I might not be able to get internet every where I go, but I do carry by itouch around with almost anywhere I go. I started out with ipods because I like the functionality of listening to my music, but once I found the games on them, I was hooked. I even used to play the games on my ipod mini that came with it when you bought it. I think these games themselves are becoming almost more coveted that then phones even are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Before I got my iphone, I considered all of the changes that you mentioned. I never thought I'd be able to use the touch screen, and honestly, I'm not really a gamer at all- the games did not play into my decision. What first drew me to the iphone were the cool apps that would just make my life easier- being able to check into my flight beforehand, downloading music playlists for free, being able to check my bank account balance, etc. After getting the iphone, my opinion of the phone AND games completely changed. I now understand why people literally become obsessed with the games. Now, whenever I get a notification that someone has "sent me a drawing" or "left me hanging," I immediately want to play back. I think that this technology has definitely turned people, myself included, into addicted gamers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was so anti-iphone because of my obsession with my blackberry. I didn't think that I would be able to survive without BBM. I remember how the only game I played was brick breaker and I never imagined that my cell phone would have such advanced games. When I finally switched the iphone at first I was hesitant but now I can't imagine having any other phone. I am constantly playing words with friends and scramble with friends. I now am obsessed with draw something! I honestly am never bored anymore because I am always able to keep myself occupied by playing games on my phone.

    ReplyDelete