Starlight Children's Foundation
The Gamification of Terminal Illness
At first it seems a little strange, if not morbid, to present children with games depicting their often terminal illnesses. The doctors diagnose a young child with Stage IV cancer, and then she is expected to enjoy blasting the cancerous tumor cells and they pass on the computer screen? I must admit I was a little skeptical at first. Wouldn't you rather play FIFA, Mario Kart... something other than what your body is already fighting every day?
We learn about games in all different ways, but we never learn that games can a healing force. When confronted with the same cancer cells that we might not be able to kill off in our own body, these games help to create a sense of power and control in the virtual world without explicitly stating the nature of the game. These kids, much like any other kid their age, play the video games and instantly become addicted to them. With so many games to choose from, these "Fun-Centers" bring both joy and a sense of hope to terminally ill children.
Taylor, the Starlight Children's Foundation sounds like they are taking an interesting approach to fighting cancer and bringing hope to kids. It actually makes sense though, since having cancer is something that the kids can't control, these games fighting against their cancer cells probably gives the kids a sense of control over what is happening in their body. Games are something that make me feel better, whenever I need an outlet I like to play basketball, and it seems like this is what is happening here but on a much bigger level. I think that games can have many uses in the lives of children and adults from relief to in this case, making an unfortunate time in a kids life more enjoyable. It looks like a cool organization you are involved in!
ReplyDeleteThis is an interesting topic. I could not help but think of the classic Waterboy quote "Visualize the attack" after reading this. You mentioned that studies showed that kids playing games associated with their illness actually handle that illness more effectively. In the Waterboy, visualizing himself tackling his opponents directly led to him performing better on the field. I believe, psychologically, this has the same effect on cancer patients. The fact that they can see the cancer being defeated, albeit in a video game, must ignite the thought that they actually can defeat the illness they are facing. This is why those affected by cancer that maintain a positive outlook often have a better chance of beating the disease than those who would rather give up and succumb to the inevitable.
ReplyDelete